*Archival photographs are courtesy of Huntington Historical Society, and may not be reproduced in any form without their written permission*
Half Hollow Community Church, located on Seaman Neck Road, was founded in 1876 as Half Hollow Chapel and is the oldest church in Dix Hills. After decades of being operated by other organizations, the little church received its charter from the State of New York to operate independently in 1962. The Church was also significant beyond the Dix Hills and Melville community, with its bell having been used during World War II as an air raid alarm. Interestingly, the inscription on the bell reads the name of Annie De Bevois Thurston, who is believed to have been a Sunday School teacher who died in a drowning accident in late 1800s. The Church is still operational, and is open for services and school on Sundays.
Dix Hills-Melville Historical Association
Copyright © 2018 Dix Hills-Melville Historical Association - All Rights Reserved.